I am honored and pleased to serve as President of your Battle Ground Rotary Club for 2017-18.
It is exciting to lead our club into another great year of service to our community, region and the world.
Rotary International President Ian Riseley has declared the theme of this year to be “Making a Difference”. Rotary’s core values of Promoting Peace, Fighting Disease, Providing Clean Water, Saving Mothers and Children, Supporting Education and Growing Local Economies are central to our mission.
My theme for this year is to add a little more onto President Ian’s tag line- “Making a Difference- Starts with You!”. I want our club and each of our members to engage in their own dream and fulfill the vision they have for service. Rotary doesn’t work without you and your dreams.
Last year we took a survey of our members and it mirrored the national and international surveys that we have seen. The number 1 reason people join Rotary is to “give back” to the community. This is followed by the #2 reason to “be part of the community” or “friendship”.
As we move into the 2017-18 year I would challenge our members to find a way to make a difference that has meaning to each of you. We have a unique opportunity to work within a strong organization that values and follows individuals who have a dream to serve locally, nationally and internationally.
Last September our club participated in the “visioning” process to set goals for the next 5 years. During this next year, I plan to help move us on the path to completing our plan.
My priorities for this year will be:
- Grow our membership with active, involved new members.
- To continue to support our youth activities, Interact and RYLA
- Engage members in a fun, comfortable environment leading to service
- Guide our club to choosing a “Signature” annual community service event/project.
- Supporting our community partners, North County Food Bank, Battle Ground Healthcare
- Supporting our international and worldwide partners, Polio Plus, Shelter Box and an International community service project through matching grants and member participation.
- Continuing our fundraising efforts through Tastes & Tunes
- Promote and mentor the next generation of leaders in our club.
- Meeting President Ian’s challenge of planting a tree for every Rotarian in our club.
As our club turns 7 years old, we continue to mature and find new ways to be of service. We need to remain open to new ideas and needs within our community as they arise. I realize the need for a president to not only lead meetings but to help each member to grow into the vision they have of service. I stand ready to support each member and the club as we go about “Making a Difference” and to remember it “Starts with You”.
Jeff Mays- President 2017-18